19 July, 2012

July Potluck with I Heart Cooking Clubs

I have been putting off writing something for this week. I selected Empanadas for this week from Rick Bayless' cookbook Authentic Mexican.  We make Empanadas all of the time, but we make them very differently from the way that Rick does in this book.  Boris makes them more Argentinian style with Raisins and Caramelized Onions and serves them with Chimi Churri Sauce.  The flavors are incredible!  I know that I adapt and change the recipes each week, because I understand Rick's style.  He is true to Mexican cuisine, and the one thing you will discover from Mexican kitchen to Mexican kitchen is "Sazon".  Sazon is the magical touch that each person adds to their dish.  It is their own flavors, method of seasoning... the love that they put into the dish.  So, I was not going to participate this week in the Potluck because I did not want to make Picadillo Empanadas.  Picadillo is the Mexican version of Sloppy Joe in my book and I only ever make it when I am fresh out of ideas.  But then I read the side notes that Rick includes in his book and I had a renewed spirit to share this recipe.  Here is what it said:


"Traditional Variations:  Empanadas with Local Flavors:  Practically all Mexican communities make Empanadas and fill them with what they have or can afford ... the possibilities are inexhaustible."  Found on the right side of page 150 in Authentic Mexican by Rick Bayless


So, with that I feel that I have Rick's permission to share with you our version of Empanadas.




Argentinian Style Empanadas
1 lb Ground Beef
1/4 lb Ground Pork
1 large Onion
1/4 cup Golden Raisins
1/2 cup Red Wine
1/4 Brandy
Oregano, Bay Leaf, and Thyme tied into a bundle
Puff Pastry


Simmer the Raisins in the Brandy for 5 minutes. Caramelize the Onion, Brown the meat, when the meat is half cooked add the red wine and the herb bundle.  Let simmer for 20 minutes.  Remove the bundle and season with salt and pepper.  Spread onto a baking sheet to let the meat cool.


Once cool cut the puff pastry into squares, spoon in filling, fold into triangles and seal with a fork.  Bake according to puff pastry instructions.

Load up with cooled filling


Fold into a triangle


Lightly pinch the edges to begin to seal


Seal with a fork = ready for the oven!




Serve with Chimi Churri Sauce

5 comments :

  1. Hi Jessi! I'm visiting from IHCC (I Heart Cooking Clubs). I think I've visited your blog before, but I didn't realize how much we have in common. I too am a California girl who loves to cook, I'm married to a Mexican, and I live in Mexico, in a small town just north of Guadalajara. :) It's very nice to meet you.

    I love that you made savory empanadas! I love them and wish I could make them more often, but my Hubby prefers sweet empanadas. Your chimichurri sauce looks delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie,
      I am so glad to have you! I have been following your blog for a while now, how funny that we live so close!!!

      Your husband may enjoy this style of Empanada because the Brandy makes them taste a little bit more sweet, plus the raisin add a juicy flavor as well.

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I love empanadas, I first made them a couple of years ago and really enjoy the different variations on them. Great idea to use puff pastry! Makes summer cooking a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried empanadas (neither cooked them nor eaten them), but you've inspired me to give them a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your empanada variation looks delicious. I have to confess I take the lazy way out and buy them from the grandma at the local mercado here when I get acraving. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Follow my blog with Bloglovin